Hotel Derek's Guide to Spring Break Activities in Houston
That one week in March we wait for year after year is just a month away...yep, we’re already talking about Spring Break! Get ready to bust out the shorts and flip flops because Houston, Texas is home to more spring break fun than you may think. Check out our guide to 5 cool spring break activities in Houston:
1. Looking for a healthy dose of R&R this spring break? Discovery Green will give you with just that. On Wednesdays and Saturdays throughout spring break week, Discovery Green will offer outdoor group Zumba and Yoga classes. Other events and activities to look out for: FUNomenal Family Festival ,Foam party, and kayak rentals at Kinder Lake.
2. For some Texas-style live entertainment, look no further than the The Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo. To pass the time until your favorite artist hits the stage, check out the carnival (complete with a Ferris Wheel and all the cotton candy you can imagine) and the fab shops offering western wear, custom jewelry, rodeo souvenirs and more. Insider Tip: Book your stay with Hotel Derek and we’ll donate a portion of every ‘Rodeo’ booking to the Rodeo’s scholarship fundraising.
3. Spring break is a whole lot more than just booze and beaches, it’s a break from the daily grind and a chance for you to dive into the things that interest you. No Houston list would be complete without this Houston institution, The Johnson Space Center. Home to NASA, The Johnson Space Center is responsible for training space explorers from the United States and our space station partner nations across the globe. Translation- this place is a BIG PLAYER in international space travel and a must-see on any Houston bucket list.
4. For another dose of culture this spring break, check out Houston's Museum District. There are 19 museums in total, including the moving Holocaust Museum and the playful Houston Zoo. Insider Tip: The Menil Collection will be exhibiting “the Progress of Love,” with concepts of love and viewpoints derived from all over the world. Insider Tip: Kick start your brain with a pre-museum Starbucks latte at Hotel Derek’s full service Barista Bar in the Lobby.
5. For a taste of the East Coast in the heart of the third coast, take the quick drive down to the Kemah Boardwalk. Arcade games and restaurants line the boardwalk and the huge wooden roller coaster is sure to bring out your inner child.
Cheers to a safe and sunny spring break in Houston, Texas!